Friday, November 24, 2006

a sour stomach

“Take and swallow it. It will turn your stomach sour, but in your mouth it will taste as sweet as honey.”

On the way to Mass this morning, I had a lot of thoughts running through my head...one of them was...why me Lord. But not the usual 'why me' type of wandering...I wasn't really questioning why I have to suffer. I was questioning why the Lord would call me to so much when I don't seem to be able to handle it all very well. You see...I saw my 'suffering' as a sign that I wasn't 'handling it' well.

Then Fr. Ron in his homily talked about the first reading passage from Revelations where John is asked by an angel to swallow the scroll and how at first it will taste sweet in his mouth and then turns sour in his stomach. How being obedient to the Word of God can be the same.

At first there is so much excitement and eagerness to listen to God's Word in our lives and to jump right to it in obedience...however at some point it is apt to turn 'sour'...things get hard and this is where dispair can set in. Wrong thinking can set us off on the wrong road. I had gotten caught in this.

The point is not so much about how well WE handle life, it is about how much we allow GOD to handle it FOR us. Constantly giving Him everything as it comes up...sour tummies and all!

No comments: